Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/chrcal15/eulah.co.uk/administrator/components/com_sh404sef/sh404sef.class.php on line 1153

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/chrcal15/eulah.co.uk/administrator/components/com_sh404sef/sh404sef.class.php on line 1153

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/chrcal15/eulah.co.uk/components/com_sh404sef/shInit.php on line 37
 Accommodation in Jersey - Luxury Boutique Hotel in Jersey, Channel Islands - History of Eulah | About

History - Eulah Jersey

 

Eulah Country House hotel in Jersey was built in 1906 by a Welsh industrialist named Ernest Walker. It is thought the house was named Eulah, meaning good listener, after his daughter. The house was then purchased in 1914 by Ethel Pellier. The Pellier family also owned the Pomme d'Or Hotel and Anne Street Brewery (now the Jersey and Tipsy Toad Brewery). On Ethel's death she bequeathed the house, also known as St. Andrew's Vicarage, to her husband the Reverend Herbert Quarrie minister at St. Andrew's Church.

After the Reverend's death (c. 1976) Eulah was passed on to Mary de Chanval Pellier, Ethel's niece and daughter of Charles de Chanval Pellier who achieved status as a Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Mary later sold Eulah to the building contractors Ernest Farley & Sons in 1977.

In 1978 Eulah was bought by the present owners the Callaghan family. For many years Eulah was a large family home until 2001 when it was converted into a small luxury hotel with an emphasis on Home from Home.